As a rapidly growing city and with a high proportion of young people, the challenge of finding affordable housing is immense. Young people facing and experiencing homelessness is an increasing and visible issue within Milton Keynes. We’re on a mission to change that.
We provide a safe place to live for up to 242 people, aged 18-35, across our campus and move-on accommodation. Our pathway of support adopts a person-centred approach across three stages of accommodation.
A dedicated staff contact is assigned to each resident and will help them as they progress from supported through to independent living. By the time our residents are ready to move on, they will have the tools and confidence needed to live an independent and fulfilled life.
Benefits of living at YMCA MK
YMCA MK is a landlord you can trust. We provide affordable accommodation and a host of benefits for all our residents. Make YMCA MK your next home.
Your Supportive Landlord
- No deposit required
- No agent fees
- Free gym membership for all residents
- All inclusive bills
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the building
- Fully furnished rooms
- On-site laundry facilities
- 24-hour access to the Residents’ Lounge and games room
- On-site property manager
- A trustworthy, caring landlord and friendly staff team
- A dedicated staff contact for each resident
- A safe and secure environment – 24-hour concierge service
- Evening meal for residents living in Supported living
- Good transport links
- Walking distance to the Hub and shopping centre
- Help finding move-on accommodation and continued support once you’ve left the campus.
Our Campus Community
We also offer the following benefits to ensure that our campus is welcoming, inclusive and supportive to all young people in Milton Keynes.
- Free Activity Programme including fitness, creative sessions, life skills and much more
- Regular social events and day trips
- Access to our on-site HomeGround café, serving healthy and affordable food
- A great community surrounded by young people who all want to belong, contribute and thrive
- Person-centred support for all residents should they need our help
- Education, employment and career support
- Free on-site counselling.
Stage 1: Supported
Providing stability and support in a safe and encouraging environment.
The first stage of our pathway is for young people who have experienced homelessness and provides accommodation for 30 residents with 24-hour support. All residents within the first stage move into single ensuite rooms and have access to a shared kitchen and living area.
The focus at this stage is to improve the health and wellbeing of our residents. During their time in stage one, residents take part in our Independent Living Skills programme, which helps our young people to gain practical day-to-day skills to help them live independently. Topics covered include nutrition and how to prepare food, personal hygiene and how to budget money.
Stage 2: Shared
Identifying and working towards training and employment goals.
When a resident has completed the Independent Skills Programme and is ready to engage with our Employability Programme, they will move into shared accommodation. To reflect our ‘campus’ approach, our stage two accommodation provides 70 rooms in shared clusters across seven floors. There is a communal kitchen and living area on each floor, so residents can get to know each other and create friendships.
The focus in stage two is to find meaningful and sustainable employment. At YMCA MK, we offer a unique, person-centred employment support service. Find out more about our Employability Programme here.
Stage 3: Independent
Achieving full independence.
Once a resident has been in employment for six weeks, they will move into stage three – independent accommodation. This consists of 106 flats and apartments available to rent at a cost that is 20% cheaper than other private rentals in the area.
While living in independent housing, our residents are supported as they prepare to move on from our campus to begin the next chapter in their lives. Examples of support given in stage three include guidance on saving for a deposit and finding move-on accommodation within Milton Keynes.